Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I can't log into my Amazon Web Server Instance anymore

What do you do when this happens to you? I have had it happen to me in a variety of circumstances, and here's how I handle it.

If you cannot access a Microsoft Windows instance in Amazon anymore because it appears that the user's password is being rejected, then try this:

Connect to the Amazon EC2 instance host name via RDP
Enter your username (administrator)
Enter your password
You get rejected
Connect to the hostname via RDP again
Enter your username - administrator@
enter your password
You get rejected
Connect again via RDP
Enter your username - administrator
Enter your password
You get connected

Even better - simply just enter your username like this \administrator
By appending \ before your username, it will blank the domain out.
When connecting to a Linux instance,  sometimes your encryption key gets out of sync. To fix that, I've been able to spool my linux instance down, shunt it to an AMI, then spool it back up as a fresh instance from the AMI and reassociate the encryption key to it. Then I could log in.

These are only a couple of example of access problems I've had to solve when dealing with Cloud instances. Sometimes they can be puzzling, but that's how new tech usually is.

-Brandon Cross

No comments:

Post a Comment